One of my favourite parts of fall is baking with Apples! Once its fall in Florida and the mornings are chilly, I love waking up just to sit out on my linnai with a mug of hot apple cider and a blanket. I could sit out there for hours just researching recipes.
My go-to recipes for apples that I love to make are Apple Pie and Apple Crisp. Today, I wanted to go a more savoury route. I wanted to make something that would pair well with the Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup that I had made earlier.
Bursting with flavour from the cheddar & thyme with sweet hints of apple in every bite this Harvest Apple Cheddar Bread is DELICIOUS! The best part about this bread is the crunch of the crispy cheese on top of the loaf.
Although this is my first time making this recipe, I think it could be made for other occasions other than just dipping it in my soup! Make it for chili, put a fried egg on it and have it for breakfast, or have it as your bread for Thanksgiving!
This is a pretty simple, quick bread recipe however it is really important to beat the wet ingredients at a medium-high speed with either hand-held beaters or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, until foamy. This will help the bread rise while it is baking and give you a lighter airy bread. Once you have created the “foam” fold in your other ingredients gently and only until they are just combined! Keep the batter as airy as possible so that it will rise while baking; otherwise your bread will be dense.
- 1¾ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Fresh Apple Cider
- ¼ cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Aged or Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated) ** Save about ½ c. to put on top of the bread**
- 1 Apple ** I used red delicious, but you could also use granny smith or other baking apple**
- 2 tsp. thyme
- ½ Apple cored & thinly sliced
- Pre-heat Oven to 350°F & grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder salt
- In another bowl, beat together the wet ingredients: eggs, cider, and oil together using mixer **UNTIL FOAMY**
- Lightly fold in grated cheese (remember to save about ½ cup of cheese for the top of the bread) grated apple and thyme with a spatula until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the apple cheddar mixture
- Pour Batter into loaf pan, spreading evenly, lay on the thinly sliced apple, the remaining cheese, and a sprinkle of time; pressing it down slightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick/tester inserted in to the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Gently run a knife around the edges of the loaf panned turn out.